the Bivalve shellfish with dashi is a Japanese dish based on fish broth with softened miso pasta. The miso soup recipe contains pieces of tofu, wakame seaweed and mixed vegetables. However, the clam plate with dashi is much simpler, because it only uses the broth as the most important element for cooking mussels. Although there are many ways to prepare cockles, the simplest technique is to steam them in a little broth or white wine. In this case, the dashi broth is prepared and the cockles are cooked until they open the dish.
The most important thing is to thoroughly clean the cockles and leave them in cold water for 1 hour or more so that they release the sand and all the impurities that they may have. Unlike other shellfish, clams must be purchased alive to maintain their state of freshness; otherwise they can be harmful to health. If the dashi is not dried properly, it can be replaced with dried anchovies, sardine or tuna.
How to prepare cockles with dashi:
- Leave the cockles in cold water with two tablespoons of salt for 2 hours so that they release the sand and all impurities.
- Cut the spring onions into thin pieces and book.
- Clean with a cotton or cloth or damp Kombu seaweed.
- Put the cold water in a pan and add the seaweed. Let them rehydrate for 10 to 15 minutes.
- When the seaweed is soft, light the fire and let them cook at a low temperature until the water starts to boil.
- Remove the seaweed from the water, add a little cold water to cool and remove the foam that forms with a ladle.
- Add the dried bonito, let it boil and remove from the heat when the water starts boiling again.
- Let stand for a few minutes and filter the water with a strainer to remove the beauty.
- Prepare the dashi, add the clean cockles to the broth and cook for 2 to 3 minutes with the lid on, until they open.
- Lower the heat and divide the miso paste with a strainer, stirring slightly until dissolved with the broth.
- Restore the salt and serve the cockles with dashi decorated with the spring onion stalk.
This delicious recipe is perfect for enjoying the warm summer days at the coast. The cockles with dashi will surprise everyone at home, don't forget to try them.